Shopify vs WooCommerce
Shopify and WooCommerce are the most popular eCommerce content management systems (CMS) on the market right now. Each of them might be ideal for you to start an online business with. The most valuable thing about Shopify and WooCommerce is that you can start using them without any help from professional developers and designers.
What platform would be the best fit for your business needs? Which has more functionality than the other? Which one is better and more flexible? Which is the easiest to use? I'm sure you have a lot of questions. But after reading this article you definitely will understand what eCommerce CMS (Shopify or WooCommerce) is the right fit for you. So, let's compare Shopify and WooCommerce to see all pros and cons.
Shopify pros and cons
Shopify Pros 👍
- You know how much you will pay each month for using the platform and the price is fair.
- Shopify App Store;
- Shopify Theme Store (Shopify has around 10 free themes);
- You don't need to worry about hosting and security;
- It takes you 10 min to create a basic shop;
- It's easy to use a dropshipping business model;
- 24/7 support;
Shopify Cons 👎
- Customization is limited to theme and platform capabilities;
- No free plans available. Shopify offers 14 days trial period (during COVID-19 it is increased to 90 days).
WooCommerce Pros and Cons
WooCommerce Pros 👍
- WooCommerce offers you a full control over the platform;
- WooCommerce is a free WordPress plugin;
- WordPress has a huge ecosystem and active community;
- Endless amount of themes and plugins;
- Easy to set up;
WooCommerce Cons 👎
- Unlike in case with Shopify, you will not have 24/7 support;
- A high frequency of WordPress updates;
Shopify vs WooCommerce. Difference
There are a lot of different blog posts and concerns from business owners on Google about this topic. All of them are super useful, but eventually it comes down to a few main differences. For instance, the main difference between Shopify and WooCommerce is that Shopify is a universal solution that gives you everything you need to start selling online asap. Shopify takes care of many technical difficulties and turns them into tools which are simple to use. This gives you the possibility to set up your basic online store in a few minutes. But thereby you don't have too much control over it.
On the other hand WooCommerce is a stand-alone eCommerce software that gives you a full control over the code. This means that you can integrate whatever you want into your store. One more thing about WooCommerce is that you can run your business with WordPress blog support.
However, when you are comparing Shopify and WooCommerce, you have to remember that the freedom that gives you WooCommerce goes along with all technical difficulties that you will struggle with. Besides that you need to have at least a basic PHP knowledge, because WordPress is written using PHP as the scripting language.
You should use Shopify if you need an Online Store asap and you don't have much coding knowledge.
You should use WooCommerce if you already have a WordPress and you want to add an eCommerce feature to it.